Whenever we want a healthy, fit body, most of us tend to avoid fat. But fat is not always the villain. Some fats like CLA burn fat!
What is CLA?
CLA ( conjugated linoleic acid ) is a fatty acid that occurs naturally in dairy and ruminants’ meat. CLA is a linoleic polyunsaturated fatty acid that is a subdivision of the omega-6 essential fatty acids. In CLA, the word conjugated refers to their arrangement inf single and double bonds. A single bond conjugates (separates) their two double bonds. Though CLA is an unsaturated naturally occurring trans-fat, unlike processed industrial trans-fats, they benefit the health.
What are the natural sources of CLA?
The best natural sources of CLA are beef, butter, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese and full-fat milk.
Why take a supplement for CLA?
CLA is present in low levels in dairy and beef. You must eat a considerable quantity of these foods to get sufficient CLA. However, heavy dairy and beef consumption can lead to other health problems like high cholesterol and obesity. Whereas, if you take a high-quality CLA supplement, one pill can give you high CLA doses without added sugar, preservatives additives, gluten, soy, and dairy.
What are the benefits of supplementing with CLA?
- Weight loss: It inhibits fat accumulation by suppressing the genes responsible for fat storage and fat cell production. It also increases metabolism so that food gets converted into energy resulting in weight loss.
- Muscle growth: It promotes anabolic processes that initiate muscle growth. It delivers glucose to muscles for muscle strength and recovery. Whenever any fat is lost, it replaces it by building muscle.
- Immunity: It strengthens immunity by building pathogen resistance, regulating the body’s inflammatory response, and lowering insulin resistance and inflammation.
- Liver: It boosts liver performance by helping to detoxify the liver
- Heart health: It promotes a healthy heart by reducing cholesterol deposits in arteries.
- Cancer: Decreases the risk of cancer by hindering the cancer cell growth, regulating the genes that prevent tumour formation and inhibiting metastasis
- Diabetes: It lowers the risk of diabetes by reducing insulin resistance, preventing obesity and controlling blood sugar.
- Bone strength: It strengthens the bones, protects the joints and reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
How much to take?
Typically 3 g of CLA per day is taken, though there is no fixed rule on dosage.
How fast does it work?
The weight-loss with CLA doesn’t happen instantly. It takes time.
- Buzz: The buzz around CLA is that it is a weight-loss supplement. However, it offers numerous benefits, apart from weight-loss. It improves your health on all fronts, and weight loss happens along the way
- Method of supplementing: If you take a minimum of 3 gram of CLA per day for six weeks, you will begin to notice changes. You should take the 3 gram in divided doses of 1 gram with every meal.
- Lose fat and gain muscle: CLA works by replacing any fat lost with lean muscle. As muscle is heavier than fat, it takes time to build. Losing weight over a longer time is more beneficial than instant weight loss through yo-yo fad diets. The weight lost gradually is effectively kept off.
- Lifestyle: Make CLA a part of your lifestyle by incorporating it into your daily routine. What matters is your commitment to regularly take it in the prescribed doses along with a healthy diet and exercise.
What is your take-away?
You need to be patient and not hurry to win the race, as CLA will help you win the marathon!