A diet comprising carbohydrates, protein, and fat coupled with regular exercise is the recipe for a lean muscular body. Most of us find it challenging to get the recommended dose of protein from our diet alone. A good protein powder can fill in the gap. While looking for a good protein powder, you can become lost in the maze of available supplements. There are multiple options like whey protein or casein, egg or pea protein, vying for your attention. When it comes to effective muscle building, weight loss, and muscle recovery, whey protein wins hands down.
Whey protein is one of the most well-researched proteins. It is one of the best soluble and easily digested high-quality proteins.
What is Whey Protein?
Whey protein is the liquid that is left as a by-product while manufacturing cheese. When casein and water are removed from the liquid by-product through a filtration process, you get whey protein concentrate. The whey protein concentrate contains about 70 to 80 percent protein. The remaining 20 to 30 percent comprises carbohydrates, fat, and a small amount of lactose.
What is Whey Protein Isolate?
Whey protein concentrate undergoes cross-flow micro-filtration to isolate the protein from carbs, fat, and lactose and form whey protein isolate. Whey protein isolate contains about 90 to 98 percent protein and a negligible amount of fat and lactose. It is, therefore, most sought after by bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts.
However, whey protein isolate benefits need not be restricted to bodybuilders and can be reaped by everyone.
What are the Benefits of Whey Protein Isolate?
1. Lean Muscle: The process through which amino acids build new protein cells for rebuilding and repairing muscle tissues is protein synthesis. During intense workouts, amino acids are the fuel that the body uses, resulting in an increased protein degradation rate. It is, therefore, crucial to replenish the protein to prevent muscle loss and build and repair muscles. Studies show that consuming whey protein isolate immediately after exercise increased lean muscle mass. Lean muscle speeds up the metabolism rate, burning more calories even while at rest.
2. Appetite: Whey protein isolate is pure protein. Protein reduces glucose absorption, resulting in lower insulin levels and decreased appetite. It aids in stimulating the hormone CCK that signals the brain when the stomach is full. Reduced appetite means prevention of excess calorie intake.
3. Immunity: The immunoglobins present in whey boost immunity by producing antioxidants to fight free radicals and detoxify the body. It contains glutathione which helps in the efficient delivery of amino acids to the muscles.
4. Cardiovascular health: Whey isolate regulates blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol and protects against cardiovascular diseases. Studies done on obese patients showed that protein reduced body weight and other risk factors for cardiovascular diseases.
5. Stamina: As whey protein isolate helps heal muscle soreness, it helps in muscle recovery after a rigorous workout. Quick recovery allows you to stay motivated to exercise and build more stamina.
With so many benefits, whey protein isolate may be the way to go after all!