Even the most energetic fitness enthusiasts have days when they feel lazy or demotivated. It is not uncommon to have a lull in your workout regimen. A pre-workout supplement may be the solution to your problem. Studies show that a pre-workout supplement can boost your training volume, accelerate fat loss, and build lean mass.
What is a pre-workout?
- A pre-workout supplement is designed to fight fatigue and help you train harder and longer. The supplements strengthen the muscles, boost energy and accelerate muscle recovery. All pre-workout supplements, including proprietary blends, have a combination of a few crucial ingredients. Most of them contain some caffeine, carbohydrates, vitamins, proteins, and amino acids.
What are the benefits of taking a pre-workout supplement?
Below, we have explained how ingredients in some of the best pre-workout supplements work:
- BCAAS: Most pre-workout supplements contain BCAAS (branched Chain Amino Acids). They support protein synthesis, endurance performance, prevent mental and physical fatigue and muscle soreness. Studies show that consuming proteins and amino acids as a pre-workout can reduce the extent of muscle breakdown.
- Creatine: It increases energy at the cellular level. It increases muscle power, especially in combination with weight training.
- Caffeine: Caffeine is the stimulant found in abundance in coffee, tea, and other products. It stimulates the brain to make it more alert ad focused. It is commonly found in most pre-workout supplements.
- Beta-alanine: During intense exercise, acid starts building up in your body. This amino acid combats acid, prevents muscle fatigue, and improves performance during intense exercise in short bursts of 1 to 4 minutes.
- Arginine: Arginine boosts nitrogen dioxide, expands veins and arteries. It facilitates easy flow of blood and faster delivery of nutrients.
- Taurine: It is a sulfonic acid found in meat. It helps metabolize fat and fight oxidative stress.
- Vitamin Bs: All the B vitamins play a significant role in energy production, DNA repair, and skin health. They can boost energy during workouts.
- Nitrate: Most pre-workout supplements contain nitrate sourced from beetroots. Nitrate converts into nitric oxide. Nitric oxide can increase blood flow, reduce the oxygen requirement during exercise and improve performance.
- Citrulline: It increases blood flow to body tissues, thereby supplying more oxygen and nutrients to muscles. It improves endurance and boosts performance during weight training.
Does the pre-workout supplement help your mental fitness?
Yes! The mind is said to be the master of the body. So, the mind can call it quits before the body does.
The ingredients in the pre-workout improve focus and alertness. The clarity of mind helps plan your workouts better. The pre-workout supplement boosts your confidence as your workouts are more successful due to the increased energy and rapid muscle recovery. The spirit makes you enthusiastic about pushing yourself to get more out of your workouts.
When is the best time to take pre-workout supplements?
They are generally taken 15 to 20 minutes before a workout. Follow the instructions, if any, on the label regarding the timing.
What is the take-away?
If you take a pre-workout supplement consistently, you can vastly improve the effectiveness of your workouts. You get the confidence to take your training to the next level! “If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you!” – Fred Devito.